Vobster, aka “vegan lobster,” or “the poor man’s lobster roll” for those adverse to the vegan title. Regardless, an affordable and delicious take on lobster rolls. Note: Recipe adapted from Purple Carrot found here. Serves 3-4, depending on how much you stuff your roll.
- 2 cans Heart of Palm, drained and patted dry
- 1 shallot
- 2 celery ribs
- 1 lemon
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise or Vegenaise (to stay truly vegan)
- 1/4 tsp dried dill (or more to taste)
- at least 2 tbsp Seafood Seasoning (such as Old Bay), or more to taste
- salt & pepper
- 1 tbsp oil (olive or vegetable)
- 4 hoagie rolls, cut 3/4 way through the side, and then split open (see photo 3 for reference). Do not slice the bread completely in half.
- Pre-heat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Slice the heart of palm into 1/2 inch thick rounds, place into a mixing bowl.
- Add oil and seafood seasoning to the heart of palm and mix thoroughly.
- Spread heart of palm along baking sheet, ensuring that each piece has its own space.
- Place baking sheet on top rack of oven and bake for 20-25 minutes, until heart of palm rounds have golden to bronze coloring (see photo 2)
- Meanwhile, in another mixing bowl (or the same one from step 2, cleaned) combine lemon juice from one of the lemon halves, mayo, shallot, celery, dill, salt, and pepper. Take a taste test and add more salt, pepper, or dill to suit.
- When heart of palm is finished roasting, add the heart of palm to the bowl of dressing.
- Immediately after step 7, add opened hoagie rolls to baking sheet and bake for 5-8 minutes until golden (see photo 3 again).
- While rolls bake, mix the heart of palm and dressing thoroughly (see photo 4).
- Once rolls are done, give 1-2 minutes for cool down. When able to touch, scoop the desired amount of the heart of palm mixture onto rolls.